5/9/11

Cookies for a Cause




I recently reconnected with a former coworker from my magazine days. We frequently planned events together and kept each other up to date on new restaurants and recipes. As we started catching up on life and updating each other on marriages, kids, food, etc., she let me know about a bake sale she was participating in.

She had me at bake sale.

I love a good bake sale. [Growing up, my school would host them to raise money for new departments or trips. I would start one on my own at the foot of my driveway, flagging down drivers in hopes for a few quarters. Although they weren't profitable, licking the Duncan Hines icing jar clean was incentive enough to keep at it. I digress.] This bake sale wasn't just one table of cookies. It is a nationwide initiative for a truly touching cause.

Cookies for Kid's Cancer was started by parents whose young son was diagnosed with the disease at age two. Four years later, after many tests and treatments, Liam passed away, but his memory lives on and is honored through these bake sales. This month would have been Liam's seventh birthday, so throughout the month of May, hundreds of bake sales are being held throughout the country to raise money for research of pediatric cancers. How inspiring to see a community of people together to make a change!


This is Liam who inspires bakers to bake for a higher cause
So, I'm thinking a bake sale is in order.
Any New York bakers care to join?

This un-baked cookie recipe is courtesy of Organic Avenue in New York City. This organic, vegan, raw shop is filled with juices, smoothies and raw foods. While that may sound off putting to many, trust me when I tell you these taste just as good as any oatmeal cookie you'll find. They're filled with healthy ingredients, like dates and coconut, are gluten-free, and are way too easy to eat!

Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup medjool dates
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup raisins
2 tb water, optional

Pulse oats, coconut and cinnamon in a food processor until powdery. Add dates and coconut oil and process until a sticky dough forms (add water if needed). Add raisins and give a few pulses, until the raisins are well mixed throughout.

You can roll the dough into balls, coat in shredded coconut and serve, or flatten into cookie shapes.

Refrigerate to set the dough before serving, or eat them straight away if you're one of those raw cookie dough types! I topped mine with a dusting of cocoa powder and coconut.

Check out the founder of Organic Avenue, Denise Mari, making the cookies here!

No comments:

Post a Comment