7/28/11

Salty-Sweet Memory Lane



I like sports. In high school I played volleyball, basketball, softball and tennis. Add to that the crazy Hallie Berry-inspired haircut I got senior year, and yes, I was practically a boy.

Because of the nonstop practices, scrimmages and games, I could pretty much snack on whatever I liked without worrying where it would end up. Hips? Thighs? No worries. Not only did I celebrate this BIG time, I also had a knack for choosing the worst snack food pairings.

Almost every day, I had a Twix and Sprite after practice. In between classes, Airheads were my sugar high of choice. Oh, and the Pop Tarts. Those magical, addictive flavors they created. It's a miracle I'm not diabetic.

I think I may have mentioned this, but Husband and I actually met in school. Grade school. But it wasn't until high school that we became great friends. We did everything together and ran everything by each other. Yes, he was secretly in love with me. Yes, I was too daft to get it.

Once spring came around, I would try to go to all of his baseball games. You know, to spend my free time on the bleachers. Wildly routing him on. In the cold/wind/rain/heat. As a "friend".  This could have been a case study in Denial. I digress.

Before the game I would pit stop to pick up my favorite counterintuitive snack: Pre-bottled Starbucks' Frappuchino and Salt-and-Vinegar Chips. I know. What sounds like a twisted pregnancy craving to most still seems totally appealing to me. Something about the caffeine, ungodly amounts of sugar and tangy vinegar brought me to another level of contentedness.

I'm a firm believer that we know ourselves better than anyone does and deep down we know exactly what we need and when we need it. Trusting ourselves enough to embrace it is another thing entirely.

Back then, I didn't need a boyfriend. I needed a bleacher seat, a sweatshirt, my crazy snack and a best friend who could appreciate that. And he did.

Salt and Vinegar Potato Salad
(Courtest of Epicurious)
Serves 12

1 large red onion, cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-wide wedges and layers separated
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
5 lb medium yellow-fleshed potatoes such as Yukon Gold
2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil


1. Toss together onion, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Marinate at room temperature, tossing occasionally, until slightly softened and pink, about 45 minutes.

2. Cover potatoes with salted cold water in a 5- to 6-quart pot, then simmer, uncovered, until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. While potatoes cook, whisk together 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning with sugar, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and remaining 1/2 cup vinegar in a small bowl.

3. Drain potatoes in a colander, and when cool enough to handle but still warm, peel and cut into 1/2-inch-wide wedges. Toss warm potatoes with vinegar mixture in a large bowl. Add onion mixture and oil, tossing to combine. Add more Old Bay seasoning (to taste) if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment